This original post was published in December 2014, a year before my first daughter was born. A lot has changed since then, but this bread remains a staple in our home. Here’s a new video to show you how easy it is to make, even with a 1-year-old assistant!

Original Post Published December 9, 2014

This recipe found its way into my kitchen as I was preparing for an Adventure Film Fest in our living room. Several of my friends and I had just returned from epic journeys, and we were all itching to share our experiences. Bobby and I wanted to put our new home cinema projector to use, and this was the perfect opportunity. The only condition was that everyone would bring their camping chair, a camping bowl and spork, and a trail-inspired food.

I wanted to share one of my favorite, easiest trail-friendly snacks: bread with butter and quick pickles. But that seemed too easy, so I began researching how to make a dense, European-style bread like you find in Nordic countries, often made with Rye. In the process, I stumbled upon My New Roots Life-Changing Loaf of Bread. With 183 comments praising its existence, it wasn’t hard to be coaxed into trying it! As usual, I had trouble sticking to the instructions, but it was everything I dreamed of, and more. Bottom line: This bread is good for you, is gluten-free, and tastes sensational! The texture is a bit moist, too much so for some people, so slice and toast it before smearing it with butter and topping it with quick pickles. Or make it sweet with a drizzle of honey!

Photos by my dear friend Allison Usavage

24 Comments
Lisa January 1, 2021 at 10:45 PM Reply

Hi, Your glutenfree bread recipe looks wonderful EXCEPT for the oatmeal.
Absolutely cannot have oatmeal – could you give me a replacement that would work?
Lisa

Emma Frisch January 2, 2021 at 5:13 PM Reply

Hi Lisa! I would check out Amy Chaplin’s cookbook “Whole Food Cooking Everyday”, which has some amazing GF breads that are similar but with rice and other whole grains. Hope this helps, and thanks for stopping by!

E

Healthy Bread August 10, 2020 at 10:36 AM Reply

I recently ordered from La Folie https://lafolie.in/collections/Healthy-breads-online and this recipe is similar to that. Definitely gonna try this recipe. Seems healthy. Thankyou

Emma Frisch August 15, 2020 at 2:48 PM Reply

I’ll look into it! I hope you like this recipe!

Helena Orenstein June 11, 2020 at 1:24 PM Reply

Just made this bread primarily for my daughter who is gluten free. It came out amazing. My husband has eaten 2 slices already. Thanks for a wonderful recipe

Emma Frisch June 11, 2020 at 3:44 PM Reply

I am so so so thrilled to hear this! THANK YOU! Keep gobbling it up :).

Mary Stoffel June 5, 2020 at 1:13 PM Reply

I am intolerant to flax seed, can I sub anything else in place of it?

Emma Frisch June 8, 2020 at 2:04 AM Reply

Oh fooey. I think the only possible alternative would be chia seeds, since they are also good “binders.” Give it a whirl and let me know how it turns out!

Sheri June 15, 2020 at 7:52 PM Reply

I made this recipe as directed but I used olive oil and sliced almonds. It turned out great!! It was easy and is so flavorful. My husband is not gluten free but he loved it too. I sliced one loaf and froze it but I think we’ll be getting it out before too long!! Thanks so much for this amazing recipe…it’s just what I was looking for.

Emma Frisch June 15, 2020 at 8:07 PM

This made me soooo happy! I’m THRILLED it was such a hit!!!

Sheri June 4, 2020 at 1:38 PM Reply

Hi Emma, I just came upon this recipe and it is exactly what I have been looking for! When I get to New York, which isn’t happening these days, I get bread from Le Pain Quotidien, it’s so delicious and your recipe sounds like it will make a similar bread. I have two questions: first, you recommend soaking the seeds/nuts….does that mean soak them ahead of including them in the recipe or is that the reason to let the dough rest for at least 2 hours? Secondly, the recipe doesn’t specify if the almonds are sliced, chopped or whole so I was wondering about that as well. I can’t wait to try this recipe!!! Thank you so much! Be well, Sheri

Emma Frisch June 4, 2020 at 3:11 PM Reply

Hi Sheri! I know EXACTLY which LPQ bread you’re describing. Yes! This one comes close… don’t forget to toast each slice before eating so that it’s not too moist (as a result of the psyllium husk). The almonds can be chopped or whole, since when you slice the bread you’ll slice through whole almonds anyway. And yes, the dough rests for 2 hours because that is the soaking / activating part – no need to soak prior. Can’t wait to hear how it turns out! XO

Holly June 4, 2020 at 10:52 AM Reply

What is the nutrition facts for this recipe. Calories, fat and carb count?

Emma Frisch June 4, 2020 at 12:10 PM Reply

I’m not sure specifically, but I found a few websites where you can enter the recipe and it will give you those details. Here’s one example: https://happyforks.com/analyzer.

Stef June 30, 2020 at 7:48 PM Reply

Something went wrong with the baking. After baking the bread exactly following the instructions, it came out still very raw inside. I put it back in and it started to burn on the outside but inside was still not fully through. I had soaked the oats and seeds overnight. Are there other baking instructions for the instances when the oats and nuts had been previously soaked?

Emma Frisch July 2, 2020 at 3:38 PM

Hi Stef. I’m so sorry it didn’t work out! Ok, so here are a couple ways to troubleshoot:
1. Do you have an oven thermometer to see if your oven is heating at the temperature it says? It’s very common for ovens to be higher or lower than the temperature it’s turned on to.
2. Did you soak the oats and seeds separately overnight or as part of the entire batter as explained in the instructions? It’s key to soak the psyllium and other ingredients together so that they can bind with each other.
3. Did the bread hold together enough that you could cut slices and toast them individually?

Stef July 2, 2020 at 4:04 PM

Hello Emma,
Thank you so much for taking the time to help. Good questions.
I know the oven is heating at the temperature it says it is heating because I made your bread again the same day without soaking anything and it came out PERFECT! Also the tip to toast the slices right before enjoying them was awesome. Thank you. 💓
We ate one loaf in a day and we loved it so much that we are NEVER going back to store bought bread, which btw we were buying only the whole grain, most nutritious artisan varieties and they still pale in comparison plus they had additives which I was mostly concerned about esp. since we have a 3 year old who loves bread.
I am telling everyone of my friends who doesn’t run fast enough about this truly amazing recipe! This is real bread! Thank you so much.

To answer your second question, I soaked just the oats and nuts in a pot, not the whole batter. I had read somewhere that you are supposed to discard the water the nuts soaked in to remove the phytic acid and figured I won’t be able to discard the water if I soak the batter. I also don’t see in the recipe where it says one is supposed to soak the batter.

To answer your third question, yes I got the bread to a finished state and yes I can cut a slice, we will definitively finish that too, but the consistency is more gooey after having been soaked.

Assuming I soak the batter next time, do the baking instructions remain the same?

Thank you so much Emma!

Kenneth May 30, 2020 at 7:59 PM Reply

Thank you so much for your help. I never would have thought of that!
All the best to you and yours!

Emma Frisch June 4, 2020 at 12:10 PM Reply

Of course! To your family as well 🙂

Kenneth Meloche May 29, 2020 at 4:58 PM Reply

This sounds great…unfortunately my wife is allergic to coconut. Do you by any chance have a recommendation for a substitute ingredient in its place?
Thank you!

Emma Frisch May 30, 2020 at 7:34 PM Reply

Yes of course! Olive oil is a great substitute… in fact, I prefer it :)!

Sue Elvin March 30, 2020 at 12:17 PM Reply

Was just given this recipe by Dimity and absolutely love it so much. Thank you so much, Sending warmest wishes to you and your family. Sue E.

Cindy February 6, 2017 at 4:10 PM Reply

Are the flax seeds used whole in this recipe? I was on another website that linked to your recipe and mentioned grinding flax seed is best. I assume you used the flax seeds whole in this recipe is this correct?

Emma Frisch February 6, 2017 at 8:55 PM Reply

Hi Cindy! The flaxseeds are whole in this recipe, though for some recipes they do work better ground. I’m curious where you found a link? Thx!