What is the most delicious OR the most creative peach dessert you have ever had? I’m eager for more inspiration – share your memories with me in the comments below!
This dessert was created quite by accident. I had planned to smother the baked fruit with crushed hazelnuts, which to my horror, I realized I had used up in a salad. I scrounged around the kitchen trying to drum up a substitute when my eyes landed on the “aged” loaf of bread forgotten on the counter. Bread crumbs!
I stuffed the bread into a Ziploc bag and whacked it with an empty wine bottle until I had a crumbly meal. Then I tossed the bread crumbs with olive oil and my favorite coarse sea salt – sel gris – scattered them on a baking sheet and toasted them. Lemon zest and flecks of mint freshened the final dish, which would not soon be forgotten. This is so easy and luscious!
Poached Maple Caramel Peaches, with Olive Oil Bread Crumbs and Coarse Sea Salt
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Peaches – 4-6 fresh peaches from your local farmers market
- Unsalted butter – 4 tablespoons
- Maple syrup – 6 tablespoons, locally producd if you’re in a maple region
- White wine or Champagne – 2 tablespoon
- Bread crumbs – 1/2 cup bread crumbs ground from olive oil croutons
- Sel gris, or coarse sea salt – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon or Lemon Zest – 1 tablespoon
- Mint leaves – A few fresh mint leaves, sliced into slivers
- Add the butter and maple syrup to a medium or large pan, and melt them over medium-low heat. We are creating a soft, luscious caramel without burning the butter.
- Add the peaches, flat side down, and tilt the pan or lift the peaches so the caramel flows beneath the fruit.
- Add the champagne or white wine, and tilt the pan again to incorporate it into the caramel.
- Poach the peaches for 7 minutes on one side, and then flip them to their curved side, and continue poaching. The caramel will also reduce into a viscous consistency.
- While the peaches are poaching, toss the bread crumbs and sel gris together.
- Remove the peaches and let the caramel continue to reduce if you desire an even thicker consistency.
- Serve the peaches with or without ice cream, but lavish generously with the bread crumb and salt crumble, zest and fresh mint.
- Serving Size: 4-6