This dish was inspired by my gorgeous sisters, who fill me with such love and glee. My twin sister Dimity got married this past Saturday! On Friday morning before the grand day, we gathered in Mamma’s kitchen. Public radio hummed softly in the background. Under my little sister Francesca’s masterful instruction, my big sister Rony helped her assemble luxurious, bohemian bouquets of rose and willow in purple, red and earthy hues. I danced from Mamma’s pantry to the refrigerator and kitchen cupboards, fashioning a brunch that would taste like the happiness wafting from my pores! The result is a dairy-free dish you can whip together and share with your family for any festive morning.
- Country white bread or Multigrain bread - About 10 half slices of country white or multigrain bread
- Eggs - 9 eggs
- Almond milk - 1/4 cup
- Cinnamon - 1 teaspoon
- Nutmeg - 1/4 teaspoon
- Honey - 1.5 tablespoons
- Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
- Granola - 1 1/4 cup of your favorite granola
- Berries - 1 1/4 cup of frozen or fresh berries, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Line a baking dish, about 6x9 inches, with your bread slices.
- Whip together the eggs, almond milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, honey and salt. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and soak the bread for at least 15 minutes, flipping the slices over regularly.
- Pour out the egg mixture into a separate bowl (whip these into scrambled eggs!).
- Top the soaked bread with the granola and berries.
- Bake for 12 minutes uncovered. Take out the french toast and cover the dish with foil. Raise the heat to 400 degrees and continue baking for 15 minutes.