What do you do when the granola jar is weeping with crumbs and the cereal box is deafeningly empty? You’ve rattled it twice to be sure. Of course, you forgot to pick up oats at the supermarket yesterday, so whipping up a fresh batch of freestyle granola is unquestionable. Plus, it’s Monday morning. The egg carton has been mysteriously vacated, the milk run dry and the bread stale. Quinoa porridge would be my fall-back, but we’re out of quinoa too. Oh breakfast, where art thou!
White rice! Or brown, or purple. How obvious. Heck, Nicaraguans, Ecuadorians, Indians and a myriad of other populations nosh on this dependable grain from dawn till dusk. Here’s an energy kickstart to the day – or satisfying and easy dessert!
Replace half of your water with coconut milk to make a rich, creamy, delicious batch of rice, and adorn it with your favorite toppings: honey, cinnamon, fresh fruit, maple syrup, raisins, flax seeds, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, you name it! Make extra rice and store it in the fridge as backup for tomorrow.
- White rice - 1 cup
- Coconut milk - 1 cup coconut milk, whole - not light
- Water - 1 cup
- Toppings (per person):
- Apple - 1/2 apple, diced
- Honey - 1 tablespoon
- Cinnamon powder - 1 teaspoon
- Hemp seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Raisins - A smattering of raisins
- In a medium pot, bring the rice, coconut milk and water to a boil. Cover and reduce the rice to a simmer. Simmer for about 20-30 minutes, until the rice full absorbs the liquid. Check once or twice, stirring to prevent the rice from burning on the bottom of the pan.
- Ladle into a bowl while it's still steaming, and dress with your toppings.