It’s a vegetarian’s tofu dream! This recipe is crispy and bursting with flavor. Eat it as a snack or serve it Italian style over brown rice with a side salad and Parmesan shavings. Superb.
Craving more? Order my cookbook today on Amazon!
Balsamic vinegar is the real flavor maker in this recipe. I recommend splurging on a high-quality Italian balsamic vinegar. But if you don't want to break the bank, I LOVE this affordable brand.
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu, cut into about 1 inch by 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely grated or minced
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, finely minced fresh or dried
- 1 teaspoon thyme, finely minced fresh or dried
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest and a splash of lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- fresh basil
- In a medium bowl or tupperware, whisk together all of the ingredients except for the tofu.
- Add the tofu to the sauce and marinate for about 30 minutes or more in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Spread the tofu on a baking sheet and pour the sauce over the tofu, coating the tofu evenly.
- Bake the tofu for 15 minutes, and then turn the oven onto high broil and continue to cook for 8 minutes. (If you don't have a broiler, raise the heat to 450 and cook for 10-12 minutes until the tofu appears crispy and browned).
- Serve with a side of rice and a hearty salad. Garnish with Parmesan and basil.
Box graters can be a pain, this microplane is my go-to for zesting citrus, grating garlic, nutmeg, or shredding mountains of Parmesan cheese!