An intoxicating, nutritious broth that anyone can make! Use up the mushroom water from making Kale-Shitake Asian Noodles with Peanut Sauce the night before.
Creamy Coconut and Shitake Soup
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Coconut oil – 1 tablespoon
- Yellow onion – 1 cup, minced
- Ginger – 1 teaspoon, grated
- Mushrooms – 2 and 3/4 cups mushroom water, extracted from soaking 1.5 cups dried shitake mushrooms
- Coconut milk – 1 cup whole coconut milk
- Potatoes – 1 cup thinly and evenly sliced potatoes
- Sea salt – 1 teaspoon
- White miso – 1 teaspoon
- Rosemary – 1 teaspoon or one 3-inch sprig fresh rosemary, leaves stripped from stem
- Coriander – 1/2 teaspoon, ground
- In a medium pot, heat the coconut oil over high heat.
- Add the onions and ginger to the pot and saute until they are translucent and begin to brown.
- Add the remaining ingredients and place a lid on the pot.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes, until potatoes are tender and fall apart on a fork.
- Let the soup cool slightly before serving.
- Optional: Transfer to a blender and puree for a thicker, creamier consistency.
- Optional: Freeze a batch of soup in a tupperware, leaving 1 inch of space between the top of the liquid and the lid. This is called “headspace” and is necessary when freezing since liquid expands.
Allergens: milk, soy