This is such a beautiful meal. Ripe with summer vegetables, a touch of exotic flavor, and so darn tasty it’s hard to believe this ultimate health dish can be prepared in under 30 minutes.
Orange Kale Salad with Tahini Quinoa
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2-4 servings
- Kale – 1 bunch kale, coarsely chopped and rinsed
- Orange – 1 orange, diced
- White onion – 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- Lemon – Freshly squeezed juice from 1 lemon
- Sesame oil – 2.5 tablespoons
- Apple cider vinegar – 1 teaspoon
- Sea salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Sesame seeds – 1/3 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- How to blanch kale: Fill a medium pot halfway full with water, and bring to a boil. Prepare a large bowl of ice water and place next to the stovetop. Once boiling, submerge the kale in the water for 30 seconds, until it turns bright green. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer the kale to an ice bath to stop the cooking process. Drain the kale in a colander and squeeze it to remove excess water. Spread out the kale on a drying towel, or dry in your salad spinner.
- Meanwhile, prepare the oranges and onions. Put them in a large serving bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, sesame oil, apple cider vinegar and sea salt. Add to the bowl, allowing the onions and oranges to soak up the juices while you toast the sesame seeds.
- Put the sesame seeds in a small pan and toast over high heat, until they begin to pop. Transfer to your serving bowl.
- Add the kale and toss the salad, mixing the ingredients and dressing together.
- Serve over Tahini Quinoa.