I tried earnestly not to take any food pictures, but some of these recipes and meals were so darned good that I wanted to cherish them along with the magic, sun-kissed high of our Adirondack mountain honeymoon. Here’s a taste of the flavors we found along the trail.
Bobby and I are outdoor lovers, to the core. Our daily activities included rock climbing, biking, hiking, fishing (unsuccessfully) – all worthy of a big appetite.
After reaching the summit of Mt. McKenzie on one of the most spectacular trails we had ever hiked (!), we tucked into hearty pub food at The Lake Placid Pub and Brewery, gulped down with a flight of their finest selection of craft beer
Our honeymoon treat was a phenomenal meal at Artisans at the Lake Placid Lodge. Pinky, billowy clouds breezed over Whiteface Mountain, dancing in Lake Placid’s reflection. The service was impeccable and the food outstanding. We explored the grounds before dining. This reminded us of a “great camp” from earlier glory days, when the rich would travel to the backcountry in glamorous style.
Flank Steak with Leeks and Creamy Lemon Dressing
Our first night in our cozy cabin on Lake Clear, we revived the gorgeous but now sauce-less flank steak left over from our wedding. This recipe can be adapted to any leftover steak.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 entree portions
- Flank steak – 1/2 pound flank steak (or other cut), thinly sliced about 1/2 inch thick
- Leek – 1 leek, halved and washed, and coarsely chopped
- Garlic – 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- Lemon juice – Freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
- Plain greek yogurt – 1 tablespoon
- Extra virgin olive oil – 1 teaspoon
- Sea salt – 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper – Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Red chili flakes – Red chili flakes for garnish
- Prepare the flank steak ahead of time, and chill in the refrigerator overnight. (Check out these recipes preparing flank steak on the stove and on the grill).
- Put the steak and leeks in a serving bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients except for the chili flakes.
- Add to the creamy lemon dressing to the steak and leeks, and toss.
- Garnish with red chili flakes for a slight perk.