Mamma taught me how to blanche greens for a refreshing, earthy salad packed with nutrition! Here’s a twist on her classic blanched kale with red onions, lemon juice and olive oil.
Rainbow Chard Salad with Rosemary-Plum sauce, Toasted Cashews, and Popped Quinoa
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 side servings
- Rainbow chard – 10 stems of rainbow chard and / or any variety of kale
- Red onion – 1/2 red onion, quartered and very thinly sliced
- Plum jam – 1 tablespoon plum jam (or substitute for any other fruit jam in your refrigerator)
- Extra virgin olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Rosemary – 1 teaspoon freshly minced rosemary
- Sea salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cashew – 1/4 cup raw cashew pieces
- Quinoa – 1 tablespoon
- Blanching the greens: Bring a pot of water to boil. Prepare a bowl of cold water in the sink. When the water begins to boil, add the greens for a mere 30 seconds, or until they turn bright green. Remove to the ice water bath to halt the cooking. Drain the greens in a colander and allow them to dry in a salad spinner or air dry on a towel. Put in a large salad bowl.
- Add the onions to the bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the plum jam, olive oil, lemon juice, rosemary and sea salt. Add to the salad bowl and toss with the onions and greens, mixing thoroughly. Place the salad in the refrigerator to marinate.
- Put the cashews in a small non-greased pot, and toast over medium-high until they brown in color, like kraft paper. Remove to a bowl or container and set aside.
- In the same pot, which should now be very hot, add the quinoa. It will immediately start to pop. Shake the pan immediately until the quinoa becomes aromatic and also becomes browned in color. Remove to a bowl or container and set aside.
- When you’re ready to serve the salad, sprinkle the cashews and popped quinoa on top.
- Note: In late summer, use this recipe for Spiced Peach Jam and substitute peaches for plums.