A simple, fresh, colorful salad! A delicious side or top with a filet of Plum-Soy-Ginger Glazed Fish!
Cranberry-Mint-Sesame Wild Rice Salad, with Herbed Goat Cheese
- Yield: 4 servings
- Rice vinegar – 1 teaspoon
- Sesame oil – 1 teaspoon
- Honey – 1/2 teaspoon
- Sea salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Black pepper – Freshly ground black pepper
- Boston lettuce – 1 head boston lettuce, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- Wild rice – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Lemon – Lemon zest from half a lemon
- Orange – Orange zest from one orange
- Cranberries – 1/3 cup
- Mint – A few leaves mint, finely chopped
- Sesame seeds – 1/3 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- Herbed goat cheese – A big fat slice of herbed goat cheese feta, or plain goat cheese
- Whisk all ingredients together.
- Rinse the rice. Add to a medium pot with water and bring to a boil. When boiling, cover with a lid and reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 30 – 40 minutes, until the rice has fully absorbed the water. Check once or twice.
- Next, add the sesame seeds to a small pan and toast over medium heat. When the seeds begin to pop they are done. (Watch them carefully so they don’t burn)
- When the rice is cooked, move to a bowl and allow to cool in the refrigerator for as much time as you have.
- When the rice is cooled, mix with the lemon and orange zest, cranberries, mint, and sesame seeds.
- Add a hunk of goat cheese on top, or crumble and sprinkle.
- Drizzle with dressing and serve.