“A kitchen, first and foremost, is a place for love and conviviality.” A friend of mine said this to me recently. It stuck, and was the inspiration for this harmonious, decadent granola.
Chai Orange Granola
- Oats – 5 cups
- Cardamom – 1/8 teaspoon plus a pinch of ground cardamom
- Cinnamon – 1 teaspoon, ground
- Clove – 1/4 teaspoon, ground
- Pecans – 1/2 cup, crushed
- Almonds – 1/2 cup, crushed
- Flax – 1/4 cup
- Sesame – 1/4 cup
- Wheat – 1/3 wheat
- Maple syrup – 1/2 cup
- Olive oil – 1/3 cup
- Orangettes – 1 cup, chopped
- Chocolate chips (optional) – Bittersweet chocolate chips, as many as you like!
- Preheat oven to 275.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together the oil and maple syrup.
- Add the liquids to the dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly so that all the dry ingredients are “wet”.
- Spread out the mixture on a baking sheet – you may need two depending on how big your baking sheet is. Flatten down with the back of a spatula.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 min or until the granola is a toasted brown color.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely for a couple hours or overnight – this will ensure chunky granola! (But go ahead and taste it hot and fresh!)
- Add the orangettes and chocolate chips last. Store in a jar and gobble with fresh, locally-produced yogurt or milk (from grass-fed cows) and fresh fruit in the morning.