Cooking with friends is always invigorating and blissful. On one particular evening, the meal was literally screaming “I love you!” This is food that nurtures the mind and the body. And no, I didn’t just leave yoga class.
Sweet Potato and Arame Spring Rolls
Shoshi’s winning recipe from an Iron Chef Competition in San Francisco!
- Yield: 4 spring rolls (best cut in half!) 1x
- 1 sweet potato, cut into fries
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 portions rice noodles
- 1/4 green cabbage, shredded
- Arama seaweed
- 4 sheets of rice paper
- Cook the rice noodles according to the directions on the packet: boil for approximately 5 minutes, or until soft. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside in the colander.
- On a baking sheet, coat the sweet potato fries with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- In a bowl, mix the cabbage and arame seaweed.
- In a medium saucepan, add about 1 inch of water. Bring to a simmer. Dip the rice paper in. It will immediately become tender. Remove to a clean surface.
- In the middle of the rice paper, add the cabbage, arame, and sweet potatoes, laid out like you would fill a burrito. Fold over each end (or just one) of the paper to seal in the ingredients, and then roll lengthwise.
- Serve with Umeboshi Plum Sauce, or a Peanut Sauce, or a simple soy and wasabi dip!