The best of both worlds; a flaky whole wheat crust to coddle the honey and cinnamon glazed apple slices, blanketed with a nutty crisp. Heaven on earth, with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.
Extraordinary Apple Crisp Pie
- 2 cups apple slices
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely grated
- 1.5 cups oats
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 stick butter, cold
Preparing the pie
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- vanilla bean ice cream
Bottom crust (dough):
- Follow these instructions for preparing the dough (the same trusty dough I always revert to).
- With a rolling pin, roll out a ball of dough into a square about 9 in. by 9 in. The thickness should be about 1/4 inch. Line a 9 in. pie dish with the dough and set aside. Because the dough has olive oil in it, there is no need to grease the pan (at least in my experience!).
- In a small saucepan, add the apples, honey, vanilla and ginger and lightly cook over low heat, covered. Don’t let the apples reduce to apple sauce. Remove the apples with a slotted spoon and set aside in a bowl. Continue to simmer the juice until it reduces to half the original amount. Remove and set aside.
Top crust (crisp):
- In a bowl, mix the oats, sugar and cinnamon. With a knife slice in the butter, and crumble into the mixture with your hands. If you have a food processor, you can give it a quick whirl – just once so as not to grind the oats too much. Set aside.
Preparing the pie:
- Preheat the oven to 325. Add the filling on top of the pie crust. Pour over the reduced juice. Cover the pie with the crisp topping. Last, sprinkle on the sunflower seeds.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the crisp is golden brown.
- Serve the pie warm with a whopping dollop or two of ice cream. So delicious. Oh my, I want to eat this again, now.