My expectations were high. Very high. The flavor was delicious, but Bobby likened the texture to baby food. Personally, I enjoyed it. See for yourself!
Pureed Beet Soup with Herbed Goat Cheese
- 4 large beets (enough to fill a cookie sheet), thinly sliced
- 2 oranges
- olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon
- 2 dollops plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup Oktoberfest beer
- sea salt
- goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 400. Wash the oranges very well. Slice them in half and squeeze the juice, preferably with a juicer. If you do, save the pulp. Finely grate the surface layer of one orange and set the zest aside.
- Arrange the beets on a pan, and lather in a generous helping of olive oil. Add orange juice, pulp and sea salt. Mix thoroughly. Bake the beets uncovered for approximately 30 minutes, or until fork-tender. Now, you can stop there...or continue onto soup! Stopping there will impress!
- Heat the water in a saucepan and dissolve the bouillon. When the beets are done, add to a blender with the water, beer and yogurt, and liquefy. You may need to do it in batches. Serve with a disc of goat cheese, or a dollop of yogurt.