Hallelujah! This one is truly a hit. Try this before the late summer sunshine peters out.
Coconut-Roasted Beets with Curried Cashews
- 1/2 cup raw cashew pieces, which are usually less expensive than their unblemished siblings
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- dash of sea salt
- 5–6 beets, boiled, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon rind zest
- a pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven, or toaster oven, to 325.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Spread on a cookie sheet in an even layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes on the top rack. Remove and toss the nuts with a spatula.
- Return to the oven for 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Bump up the oven temperature to 350.
- Once you’ve prepared the beets, put them in a large bowl and mix with the remaining ingredients.
- Spread the beets in an even layer on a cookie sheet.
- Put the beets in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle cashews on top and feast! This dish gets better with age!