A wonderfully fresh, simple salad that will please any eater and can be prepared in under fifteen minutes. This is a great summer salad or a nice way to brighten your winter spread.
Craving more? Order my cookbook today on Amazon!
Thai Cabbage Salad
Inspired by Deborah Madison’s recipe “Napa Cabbage Salad” from Local Flavors. Capture the aroma of the herbs (eighty percent of taste is smell!) by chopping, or even better, tearing the herbs with your hands just before serving the salad.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Total Time: 13 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups mixed greens, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chives, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1 cup cashew pieces
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, mix together the cabbage, lettuce, fresh herbs and chives.
- In a small pan or skillet, warm 1 tablespoon sesame oil and add the sugar, stirring to melt. Add the cashew pieces and sesame seeds and toast until the sesame seeds begin to pop and the cashew pieces brown. Add to the cabbage.
- Whisk together the apple cider vinegar, sesame oil, honey, olive oil, salt and pepper. Add the dressing to the cabbage salad and toss thoroughly.