I had the greatest pleasure of cooking with my two favorite co-chefs this weekend. My mother and my twin sister, both devout food aficionados, my teachers, and my peers. Dimity and I bumbled back to Ithaca together in an ancient Volkswagon Passat. The windows were hopeless and the ceiling fell on us throughout the journey, repaired every ten minutes with gaffer’s tape. Alas. The culmination of our miraculous arrival was a feast! This meal is great served with sriracha hot sauce. Here’s the rundown.
Mediterranean Medley: Falafel, Orzo Salad, Pesto-Hummus, Cucumber-Tomato Relish
Unless your a Middle Eastern genius chef, or willing to grind your own chickpea flour, the best bet for falafels is a box mix.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- falafel mix
- Follow the instructions, which are usually: mix 2 cups of mix with 1 1/4 cup of water.
- Let stand for 15 minutes–we found this combination to be a bit dry, and added about 1/4 cup more of water, which still wasn’t enough.
- Next time we’ll do 2 cups of mix to 2 1/4 cups of water–we tried to go the healthy route, and bake these little orbs.
- We popped them in the oven at 400 for about 20 minutes, and finished them off with olive oil in an iron skillet.
- I would suggest in future, baking for 10 minutes, and frying in a light olive oil for 3-5 minutes, flipping once. This will give them a moist, but less fried feel.