This recipe is a spin off the never ending combinations once can make of my Mamma’s Pantry Salad, a medley of pantry staples for nourishing, lip-smacking meals in a pinch. For example, you can substitute the canned kidney beans for any other canned beans, such as canellini, garbanzo, and even corn kernals! Likewise with the sunflower seeds: replace with chopped almonds, pumpkin seeds, cashews or any other nuts and seeds your heart desires. Red wine vinegar will happily have apple cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar stand in, and look for tuna packed in extra virgin olive oil (as opposed to water) so you can use that extra flavor – especially when you’ve run out of olive oil!
- 1 quart green beans, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (15-oz) can kidney beans
- 1/3 can (4 ounces) black olives, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- 1 can tuna
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, mix together the green beans, kidney beans, black olives, sunflower seeds, sundried tomatoes, chives and tuna (including the olive oil that the tuna is packed in).
- In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, sesame oil, lemon juice, sea salt and pepper. Add to the salad and toss thoroughly.
Allergens: tree nuts