A sweet way to start your Saturday, or any day really! I am not a self-proclaimed baker and usually leave such treats up to the masters, like Shantilly Picnic. But I was inspired, and with great ingredients, almost anything turns out tasty. These will disappear down your gullet in no time!
Blueberry, Macadamia & Thyme Scones
Gorgeous served with a dollop of creme fraiche and fresh fruit.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 20 scones 1x
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 7.5 oz crème fraiche
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons thyme, fresh or dried
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two baking sheets, or substitute one baking sheet for a muffin tin (or all muffin tins!)
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and sea salt in a large bowl.
- Cut pieces of the butter into the mixture, and rub the butter into the mixture with your fingertips until it resembles damp sand (see picture above).
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 egg, 1 egg yolk, the creme fraiche and vanilla extract. Create a well in the middle of the dry mixture, and gently stir the egg mixture into the batter until it comes together.
- Stir in the blueberries, macadamia nuts and thyme to the batter.
- Generously flour a clean surface and turn out the dough onto the surface. Roll out the dough into a large circle, about 1/2-inch thick. (If you do not have a rolling pin, use an empty wine bottle, coating it with flour first).
- Cut triangle wedges, like pizza slices, and place on a baking sheet. (Or, fill muffin cups with about 1.5 inches of batter).
- Beat the second egg and use a pastry brush to coat each scone or muffin top with egg wash.
- Bake scones for about 25 minutes, until they brown lightly around the edges. Insert a toothpick into the thickest part of a scone – if it comes out clean, they’re ready!
Allergens: dairy, eggs