What is the most delicious OR the most creative peach dessert you have ever had? I’m eager for more inspiration – share your memories with me in the comments below!
This dessert was created quite by accident. I had planned to smother the baked fruit with crushed hazelnuts, which to my horror, I realized I had used up in a salad. I scrounged around the kitchen trying to drum up a substitute when my eyes landed on the “aged” loaf of bread forgotten on the counter. Bread crumbs!
I stuffed the bread into a Ziploc bag and whacked it with an empty wine bottle until I had a crumbly meal. Then I tossed the bread crumbs with olive oil and my favorite coarse sea salt – sel gris – scattered them on a baking sheet and toasted them. Lemon zest and flecks of mint freshened the final dish, which would not soon be forgotten. This is so easy and luscious!
- Peaches - 4-6 fresh peaches from your local farmers market
- Unsalted butter - 4 tablespoons
- Maple syrup - 6 tablespoons, locally producd if you're in a maple region
- White wine or Champagne - 2 tablespoon
- Bread crumbs - 1/2 cup bread crumbs ground from olive oil croutons
- Sel gris, or coarse sea salt - 1 teaspoon
- Lemon or Lemon Zest - 1 tablespoon
- Mint leaves - A few fresh mint leaves, sliced into slivers
- Add the butter and maple syrup to a medium or large pan, and melt them over medium-low heat. We are creating a soft, luscious caramel without burning the butter.
- Add the peaches, flat side down, and tilt the pan or lift the peaches so the caramel flows beneath the fruit.
- Add the champagne or white wine, and tilt the pan again to incorporate it into the caramel.
- Poach the peaches for 7 minutes on one side, and then flip them to their curved side, and continue poaching. The caramel will also reduce into a viscous consistency.
- While the peaches are poaching, toss the bread crumbs and sel gris together.
- Remove the peaches and let the caramel continue to reduce if you desire an even thicker consistency.
- Serve the peaches with or without ice cream, but lavish generously with the bread crumb and salt crumble, zest and fresh mint.