Quick, simple, clean, bright and delicious! A perfect compliment to any dish, and improves with age as the dressing gets more familiar with the kale and kohlrabi. It seems that every kohlrabi we have unearthed in our farm-share box this month is bursting with sweetness! They were harvested in the Fall, and are kept in a storage cellar over the winter to dole out weekly to CSA members like me’self. Perhaps storage ripens them, like wine and cheese? It’s nearly impossible not to get out of control with my cooking-munching. In fact, if you need a quick snack just dish up spears of kohlrabi to dunk in hummus or other dips.
- 4 cups shredded kale
- 3 cups shredded kohlrabi
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 lemon, freshly squeezed
- 2.5 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- With a sharp knife or food processor, shred the kale as finely as possible.
- With a grater or food processor, shred the kohlrabi.
- Put the vegetables in a bowl.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a small bowl, and pour the dressing over the vegetables. Use your hands to massage the dressing into the kale and kohlrabi until the leaves are fully coated and more supple.
- Eat your greens!