This is such a splendid blend of flavors and color! Apart from the classic and comforting Leek and Potato Soup, roasted leeks are my favorite form of this plentiful allium. Thus, I’m constantly finding new ways to reinvent the roasted leek. This motley company of charred, sweet leeks with hearty chickpeas and Amazing Pickled Beets is, well, A-mazing. Try it, it’s phenomenally simple.
- Leek - 1/2 leek
- Olive oil - 2 tablespoons
- Chickpeas or Garbanzo beans - 1 (15-ounce) can
- Pickled beets - 1 cup diced pickled beets
- Preheat the oven broiler to high, or if you don't have a broiler, to 450 degrees.
- Rinse the leek, as it tends to collect mud and sand between its leaves. Chop the leek into 3-inch stems, keeping the leaves nestled together.
- Spread the leeks on a baking sheet and coat with olive oil.
- Broil or roast for 14 minutes, flipping the leeks halfway through to get a nice even char.
- Allow the leeks to cool, and then chop coarsely.
- Toss the leeks, chickpeas and beets together in a bowl and gobble up!