Italian Seasoned Green Beans
- Olive oil - 2 tablespoons
- Yellow onion - 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Garlic - 1 tablespoon, minced
- Tomato paste - 1 tablespoon
- Thyme - 1 tablespoon or more of fresh thyme
- Rosemary - 1 tablespoon or more of fresh rosemary
- Basil - 1 tablespoon or more of fresh basil
- Chives - 1 tablespoon or more of fresh chives
- Sea salt - 1/4 teaspoon
- Black pepper - Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Olives - 1/2 cup, chopped
- Beans - 3 cups chopped (about 1-inch long) beans
- Water - 3/4 cup of water (add 1-2 tbs at a time, allowing it to reduce each time)
- Goat cheese or Feta or Tuna
- Put the olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. When the olive oil is hot (test with one piece of onion), add the onion and saute until it becomes translucent.
- Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato paste, fresh herbs, salt and pepper. Stir and mix thoroughly. Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Add the olives, beans, and 1 tablespoon of water. Stir well and cover with a lid. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove lid and add one more tablespoon of water. Stir well.
- Continue to add 1 tablespoon of water as needed to prevent the tomato paste from burning on the bottom of the pan. You want to create a slightly thicker sauce that will coat the beans while providing enough liquid to cook them.
- After about 7 minutes, when the beans are bright green and tender, remove them from the stovetop and transfer to a serving bowl.
- For an even more complex and hearty side dish, you can add crumbled goat cheese or feta, or tuna.