It’s here! The recipe you’ve been waiting for. Since quinoa was the only acceptable bulgar substitute gracing my pantry, here is a twist on Heidi Swanson’s Lemon Zested Bulgar Wheat in her cookbook Super Natural Every Day. An energizing, mouth-watering and terrifyingly healthy breakfast…or afternoon snack, or dessert. (I could eat this all day).
Very dreamy back porch eating.
- Water - 1 1/4 cup
- Whole coconut milk - 3/4 cup whole coconut milk, plus 1/4 cup extra for drizzling
- Quinoa - 1 cup
- Raw almonds and Cashews - 1/2 cup coarsely chopped raw almonds and cashews
- Sea salt - 1/4 teaspoon
- Coconut oil - 1 tablespoon
- Honey - 2 tablespoons
- Sea salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Lemon - Lemon zest from 1 lemon
- Fresh berries -
- Poppy seeds (optional) -
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Many recipes suggest rinsing the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer to remove the saponin the natural, bitter coating. I rarely rinse my quinoa because I don't own a fine mesh strainer, and I don't mind a hint of earthiness! Try both ways and see which you like best.
- Add the quinoa, water, and 3/4 cup coconut milk to a medium pot. Leave the pot uncovered and over medium-high heat, bring the liquid to a rolling boil. This will take about 4-5 minutes.
- Cover the pot and reduce the heat to the lowest setting. Simmer for 12-15 minutes. After 12 minutes, remove the lid quickly and stir the quinoa to check that it is not burning on the bottom. If the quinoa has not absorbed all of the liquid, continue cooking for 1-3 minutes until it has been completely absorbed. Remove the pot from the burner and let the quinoa stand in the pot for 5 minutes before removing the lid.
- Combine the nuts, sea salt and coconut oil on a baking sheet and toss until the nuts are fully coated with coconut oil. Roast for about 15 minutes, or until toasted in color. Transfer to a clean baking sheet or paper towel, and let the nuts dry and absorb the oils.
- When the quinoa is cooked, remove from the stove. Drizzle in the honey and a teaspoon of sea salt and stir well.
- Spoon individual servings into bowls, and dust with about 1 teaspoon lemon zest per person, fresh berries, roasted nuts and poppy seeds (optional).
- Drizzle with extra coconut milk if desired.