Snacks and notes from a small celebration, to prepare for a more joyous and grandiose occasion in August: our wedding! Yes indeed, Bobby and I will tie the knot after seven years and a lifetime to come of love, partnership, adventure, and good eating. Our friend Josh, a wine guru on Capital Hill, sent a healthy splash of whites and reds for us to try. It was impossible to finish this small collection of wine between the two of us. So, we had a little party. Here are a few simple pairing snacks to tide over the appetite.
Intriguing and light, with robust flavor! The following recipe is for 1 roll. Multiply the ingredients for the number or rolls you would like to serve.
- Kohlrabi - 1 very thin, round or oblong slice of Kohlrabi
- Arugula or Other spicy salad green - 1 leaf of arugula or other spicy salad green like mizuna or tat soi
- Piggeroni or Other cured meat (optional) - 1 slice piggeroni, or other cured meat like mortadella or proscuitto from a farm you can trust
- Feta cheese - 1 teaspoon feta cheese
- Toothpick - 1 toothpick
- Black pepper - A sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper
- Place the kohlrabi on a cutting board. Layer with the arugula leaf, followed by a slice of meat if you desire. Spread the feta in the center of the meat. Roll the edges of the kohlrabi together, and marry with a toothpick. Sprinkle with black pepper.