I was surprised to see recipes for pesto with carrot greens surfacing quietly on food blogs, friends’ Facebook pages and recipe sites. “Impossible!” I thought, “These scraps are only fit for stock.” Well, they say curiosity killed the cat, but I can assure you that this recipe will send you directly to Cloud 9!
- Carrot greens - 3.5 cups loosely packed carrot greens, thoroughly rinsed and stems removed
- Garlic - 1.5 tablespoons, coarsely chopped
- Lemon juice - 2 tablespoons, freshly squeezed
- Extra virgin olive oil - 1/4 cup
- Parmesan - 1/4 cup, grated
- Raw cashews - 1/4 cup raw cashew pieces, which are cheaper than whole
- Yogurt - 1 tablespoon plain yogurt, a thicker yogurt will result in a thicker pesto
- Sea salt - Pinch of salt to taste, depending on how salty your parmesan is!
- Put all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until blended.
- Remove the lid and use a spatula to push down the pesto that has crept up the sides of the blender. Blend into a creamy paste.
- Transfer to a glass jar or container, and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks (though it won't stand a chance that long!).
- Or, you can freeze for later use with the ice tray method.