YUM! Broccoli rabe is my favorite spring green. A hearty blend of broccoli florets and spicy greens with tender stems. Simply marvelous. This recipe is a piece of cake, daring and packed with punches of butter and salt. Don’t shy away from the anchovies; the flavor is mild and the nutrition factor high!
- Butter - 2 tablespoons
- Anchovies - 6 anchovies
- Cloves or Garlic - 4 cloves or 2 tablespoons garlic, coarsely chopped
- Broccoli rabe - 1 bag broccoli rabe, or one bunch, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- Sea salt - 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper - Freshly ground black pepper
- Duck egg - 1 duck egg per person
- In a large skillet or sauce pan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Turn the heat to medium, being careful not to burn the butter. Add the anchovies and stir with a wooden spoon until "melted".
- Add the garlic and saute until golden.
- Add the broccoli rabe, salt and pepper and stir.
- Cover with a lid and cook over medium-low for about 10 minutes, or until rabe leaves are fully wilted and stems are slightly deflated and tender.
- In a separate pan, cook a duck egg (or "normal" egg) sunny side up!
- Serve duck egg over a bed of broccoli rabe, sprinkled with pepper. Crusty slab of toast will do.