Like any good Italian, I LOVE anchovies and I LOVE arugula or any spicy, bitter green at that. Now don’t be scared. The anchovies meld with the garlic and olive oil into a time-honored flavor. A perfect light kick to pasta and pairing with spicy greens. Unfortunately, we’d hoovered through our arugula and tat soi for the week, so I turned to the beloved turnip greens, which most would toss out as junk. Not so. I created my own version of Mark Bittman’s Minimalist Pasta. Enjoy with thickly grated Parmesan!
- 2 portions penne pasta
- 3 large handfuls of turnip greens, leaves separated from stems
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 anchovy filets, canned in olive oil
- sea salt, add to water when bringing to a boil
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- parmesan, to taste
- See the recipe here. The above is a halved version with penne.