The pungent blue cheese is balanced to a tee by the sweet taste of Fall apples, aroma of thyme and tender free-range chicken breast. Simple, healthy, easy and decadent!
Braised Chicken, stuffed with Apples, Blue Cheese, and Thyme
- 3 tablespoons dressing from Porchfest Brunch
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- a generous sprinkle of thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- Apple and Blue-Cheese stuffed Chicken Breast:
- Chicken breast - 1 chicken breast, truly free-range
- Apple - 1/2 apple, use a sweet eating apple; I used Autumn Crisp from Cornell Orchards
- Blue cheese - 1 tbs. blue cheese, crumbled
- Side Dish - Zucchini Ribbons:
- Squash - 2 baby squash, or half of one, though it's nice to mix colors
- Olive oil -
- Salt and Pepper -
- Lemon juice - Fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- Mix in a bowl. Rinse chicken breast and place in a ziplock bag or tupperware immersed in the marinade. As much as I dislike using plastic bags, the chicken will marinate better in a ziplock. Marinate from 30 minutes to a few hours in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 350. Slice the chicken breast down the middle - there should be an obvious seam. Add the chicken breast to a small baking dish with the marinade. Stuff the middle with the apples and blue cheese. Fold back over. Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350. Increase the temperature to 375 and continue to bake for 20 min. Bobby taught me that because the chicken was cooked in liquid, the correct term is "braising". Braised chicken! Wow. So juicy delicious.
- Slice the squash into ribbons with a vegetable peeler. Lightly sautee in olive oil for a few minutes. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
Apple and Blue-Bheese stuffed Chicken Breast:
Side Dish - Zucchini Ribbons: