White Bean, Zucchini & Dill Soup
- 4 tablespoons light olive oil, even Canola will work
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can White Great Northern Beans
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 tablespoons creme fraiche, or heavy cream
- 2-inch parmesan rind, rind removed (optional)
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt (optional)
- In a saucepan (the same one you plan to cook your soup), heat 2 tbs. of olive oil and saute one clove of garlic with the onions. Remove to a blender, and puree with half the can of beans and half their liquid. Return to saucepan, and add water, white wine, and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer and cover. In the blender, coarsely pulse the remaining can of beans and their liquid with the parsley and dill. Return to saucepan. Add parmesan rind and creme fraiche (or heavy cream). Simmer for approximately 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, julienne zucchini and sautee with the remaining olive oil and garlic. I did this in my cast iron skillet, and allowed the zucchini to slightly brown for flavor.
- When soup is done, add zucchini. You can serve hot or cold, with a dollop of yogurt on top. I preferred this cold as a hearty, summer refreshment.