Inspired by Mark Bittman's recipe.
This recipe is for a baking pan that measures approx. 8 x 4 in., however, you can double this recipe and use an 8 in. square baking pan, or a 9 in. round baking pan.
- 1/4 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 1 small egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts, slivered almonds, pecans or pine nuts
- 2-3 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Add the fruit with half the sugar and lemon juice to the baking pan. If using frozen blueberries, heat the mixture on the stove top or in a microwave until the blueberries are slightly softened - don't cook!
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, salt, and remaining sugar and mix. Chop in pieces of butter and mix well - I find this easier to do with my hands. When the mixture is mealy and well mixed, beat in the egg and vanilla. You can beat the egg and vanilla separately in a bowl before adding. If using a food processor, just add the ingredients in order and pulse until well mixed (to those of you with one, this is the easiest route!)
- Drop this mixture onto the fruit in dollops. You do not have to spread it out thoroughly. Bake until golden yellow and just starting to brown, 35 to 45 minutes. Serve immediately. Add a dollop of recycled creme fraiche on top (yes - this is STILL in our fridge, and tasty as ever).
Allergens: dairy, eggs, tree nuts